It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Diy sump help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:22 pm 
Marine Bacteria
Marine Bacteria

Hi, this is my first sump, any help would be welcome. Most importantly will it work. Skimmer goes on right then bubble trap then refugium then the little chamber is the return. Is the return to small to work? It's bigger than my pump and I wanted toax out the refugium space. All baffles are also all the same height.
Thanks in advance.
Chris

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 102.37 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]

Post subject: Re: Diy sump help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:13 pm 
Pteropod
Pteropod

Your dividers and baffles are too high, they need to be lower so there is spare capacity in the sump to hold the extra water when the power goes off and some of the display drains back. Normal rule of thumb is no more than 2/3.

Also your bubble trap should over then under then over. The idea is to force the bubbles to the surface.

But if it was me I would be keeping it simple, just put in the last baffle to set the water height for the skimmer and leave the rest out. You're assuming you are going to need a bubble trap, most modern skimmers are pretty good and it's not difficult to add a bubble trap later or retro fit another option if you find you need to.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]