It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: diy uv sterolizer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:46 am 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

SemiLEDs True Violet UV LED (400-410nm)

hello everyony i am looking at different options for my new ongoing build my question is has anybody exsperimented with uv leds in confined chamber{leds obviously out of the water} as a homemade sterolizer verses really exspensive tubes with lights.
The uv given out thrugh glass or suspended will that not be the same if you isolated it to a small flow area with ten of these leds or is the submergeable bulb work because the pathgens bactera and whatnots have to come in contact with the bulb
I am also heavely looking into this in background but would like some input from someone who has actually done this :coffeebreak:

Post subject: Re: diy uv sterolizer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:03 am 
Pteropod
Pteropod

You wont find anyone on this forum. not many use UV and if they do it will be hobby UVs.

Most manufacturers are still using standard bulbs so are the technology is still new and unproven and likely not economical.

Looked into this some time ago to see if i could get them but got to hard or expensive,

why would you need UV? is it a fish only tank.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:40 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

no its not it is a mixed reef from acros to softies to hard to keep fish last year i had brown slim diease breakout so yes there is a need uv leds are cheap know and so are the bulbs for submergable types as well if it wasnt for my small uv i wouldve lost all my corals and wouldve had to restart which wouldve ment all sand rocks to be sterolized killing of the small life which my copperband and others feed on with my new build i want no more trouble as im planning on targeting the hardest of fish and coral thanks for your reply
please im asking for positve responses
rapid ultraviolet $4.50

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:13 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

Don't know about doing it DIY, but UV's effectivness reduces quickly the further away from the source it gets.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:48 pm 
Pteropod
Pteropod

issue is , UV does nothing unless it is a powerful unit , say 100w. then anything powerful id no good for corals as it kill everything.

You don't need UV on a reef tank. if fish are healthy and water quality is good then you won't have issue, QT any new fish.
Any decent UV will cost you over $1000, and trying to make one with no experience or understanding of Uv does not make sense.

Maybe look at Ozone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

any exsperianced reefer will tell you no matter how many precautions you take it will happen at least once also uv is not over main tank that would be stupid anyone dumb enough to do that shouldent be allowed pets i have quarineteen as well and still stuff gets in its just nature you cannot controll it but you can save it or rescue some of the many.uv does not have to run 24hrs a day to be effective
look this is something im doing because i know from years of reefing i have heard your arguement and i know where your comeing from but exsperiance tells me otherwise please i am after answers about uv one fella has already put a bit of input in which is a good point with non submergable uv distance effective
also im a fully qualified auto engineer which means im trained in electricity as well so im not as blind as your thinking
ps rapid led 40 dollers for leds 26 dollers for driver and some wires total 100ish dollers or the actual uv light replacement bulbs which are about 30ish bucks and the drivers arnt much more and a mate who is a electronics tradesman =cheap under 150 max

reef thankyou for your input but im more interested in setting this up for two reasons precaution and prevention dont take it personally :cool:

i would rather flick a switch than do nothing and watch suffering

THIS SUBJECT IS ABOUT DIY UV AND ANY BUILDING DESIGNS SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE USED OR HELPFULL INFO RELATED

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:49 am 
Pteropod
Pteropod

Quote:
rescue some of the many.uv does not have to run 24hrs a day to be effective

i think you need to do more research, UV needs to be run 24/7 to be useful, pretty hard to kill parasites etc if it is on the fish.
So you need to get as much water threw the UV so you can kill as much as you can when they detach from fish.

Good luck but i highly doubt you will make a useful Uv for $150, given i run 4 at around $2500 each. and bulb replacement for each at over $150.
Also you need plumbing for the UV, say $150, quartz sleeve , say $200.special fittings to hold sleeve and seal Uv etc, cost will depends what size uv you are building.

From experience if you have decent water quality you fish will not get sick. There is always a risk when you add new fish.

Quote:
uv is not over main tank that would be stupid anyone dumb enough to do that shouldent be allowed pets

not sure what you mean?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:10 pm 
Copepod
Copepod

There are various levels of UV , a,b,c . The leds sold , are in the "a" range . The "c" range is the powerfull uv that would probably kill bacteria . I doubt there are leds available in the c level .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:15 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

Hmm okay it has been outlined and know your going that way so the question know is are you trolling or baiting i think ill talk to admin no more posts here please reef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:33 pm 
Pteropod
Pteropod

bigsalty wrote:
Hmm okay it has been outlined and know your going that way so the question know is are you trolling or baiting i think ill talk to admin no more posts here please reef

Dude you're the one coming across like you're the one baiting. Fair enough you asked a question but not getting the response you wanted isn't a reason the throw your toys out of the cot. Reef has more years of experience than anyone posting here and has been reefing for longer than most in the country, plus has certainly tested and experienced more equipment and ways of doing things than anyone else you're ever likely to hear from.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:33 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

bro read carefully i have answed all his questions carefully and with respect and still it goes on i was not interested in advise on the uv subject remember this is the diy section so only diy please dont change things to help others i was interested in designs i still want to give him a chance in the future also i have been reefing a very long time and am extreemly noligable i dont want to argue just resolve hes your freind and you want to stick up for him thats fine but your going the wrong way about it

Dude you're the one coming across like you're the one baiting. Fair enough you asked a question but not getting the response you wanted isn't a reason the throw your toys out of the cot. Reef has more years of experience than anyone posting here and has been reefing for longer than most in the country, plus has certainly tested and experienced more equipment and ways of doing things than anyone else you're ever likely to hear from.

A.D.M.I.N

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:05 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

PLEASE THIS IS ABOUT DIY UV
If you wish to discuss uv over conventional methods start a post in G.E.N.E.R.A.L D.I.S.C.U.S.S.I.O.N.S :ideab:
cmon guys enough already :faint:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:17 pm 
Pteropod
Pteropod

Maybe it's just the way you post, even your last post is rude, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just don't know how your posts come across and leave it there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:56 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

screenshot takin so theres no funny buisness
srry bud but have answered correctly and ive had enough its up to admin know

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:43 pm 
Copepod
Copepod

LOL Chill bigsalty it seems you are missing the point here... you asked a valid question

bigsalty wrote:
has anybody exsperimented with uv leds in confined chamber

and the very first response was from one of the most experienced reef keepers in NZ

reef wrote:
You wont find anyone on this forum. not many use UV and if they do it will be hobby UVs.

Now i'd take that as good advice, but the question is still open for discussion... thats the whole point of these things call forums/discussion boards!

Your following posts are very confusing full of poor spelling and no grammar at all, making me want to vomit trying to read it!
Reef made some valid points regarding using UV at all and made a good suggestion of looking at ozone yet this is ignored?

Nobody was baiting you, nobody was trying to wind you up, there was simple discussion about the requested topic.

Im not trying to wind you up here either im simply pointing out the direction the thread has taken.
Can I suggest that you re-read Reef's comments/suggestion, take this information as it is, simply advice from an experienced reef keeper and consider it in a context that all advice given over the internet should be considered. There are a million and one views on subjects on the internet, you just have to read all the info given to you and make your best educated decision on the way forward.
Something i've learned in my short time as a reef keeper is not to follow one person's advice but to do all the research I can before jumping into something, consider your options and look outside of just this one forum.

cool beans?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next