It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Black foam sealant for aquascaping reef tank
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

I'm looking for a expanding foam sealant for building a rock wall in my reef tank. Anyone know where to get this from? I checked Mitre 10 had nothing.

Thanks all!

Post subject: Re: Black foam sealant for aquascaping reef tank
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:30 pm 
Flagellate
Flagellate

Why would you want to use expanding foam? This stuff isn't aquarium safe, they leach into the tank unless you seal them very very well with a food/marine safe sealant.

What you need is to drill the rocks, thread wire through them for structural stability, then secure them in place with aquarium safe silicone. I've not seen black silicone in NZ but you can get it overseas.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:05 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

Don't use wire. I used acrylic rod. Drill holes in rock slightly smaller than the rod and wack it in with a hammer then push together. Very hard to pull apart if your rock is strong enough.

I have seen people overseas use foam, after they have made their structure, to hide the joins and get the one solid rock structure look. I wonder what they use. I am sure you could find something that works. Or even import the exact product if you can't find it here.
I have a feeling they seal it with polyester resin anyway and throw sand at the resin before it dries to hide the foam. I have done this in freshwater tanks and worked great after it had cycled.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:31 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

Thanks for all the replies, I came across a video of a guy using the foam on his aquarium. Aparently these ones don't leach as they are meant for ponds/waterfalls. The guy in the video puts on sand at the end just to hide the foam.

The black foam apparently doesn't leach because it is made differently to the white/yellow one. For instance it can last much longer, and because it's meant for ponds it doesn't break down from the sun.

I find the foam would give a better textured look, as I want to create the whole back wall of my tank a rock structure.

Here's the link for reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euTeBpM0nRQ

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:53 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

I found a brand called EasyPro that you can get from pond stores. On the can it says fish safe. At $60 a can it is a bit rough. Thinking about giving it a try.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:54 pm 
Flagellate
Flagellate

Hmm, I spent a while looking for fish safe foam for another project and never discovered this stuff.

Not a lot of info out there about it, could only find 1 reef thread of someone using it.

I'm always the skeptic of products like this, I would always seal them anyways (and I think it's more work than it's worth, better to use wire/rods and silicone in my opinion) since while the risk of something going wrong may be low, the consequences are grave if you have a well stocked large tank... Just my 2c

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:49 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

Ive got a magazine somewhere that shows you how to make it . Im pretty sure they used normal expanding foam with coral sand and then epoxy coated . Ill see if I can find it for you. Particular article was for a marine tank

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]