It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sinus squeeze?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

Went out for a wee dive today on the south coast, didnt get too deep 9m max and had been out for around 30 - 40 minutes turned around and had lost my buddy so followed lost buddy procedure but when i went to surface i think i may have come up a bit quick and ever since (around 5 hours ago) ive had a hellish head ache i have recently had the flu and still had a bit of flem and runnyish nose so my question is do you think this could be caused from sinus squeeze or something else and do i need to go see a doctor or wait it out? The head ache is slowly getting better but its very unconfortable

Post subject: Re: Sinus squeeze?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 pm 
Flagellate
Flagellate

Dave is your dive buddy Tim???

Also it sounds like a reverse block. The ears didn't have time to release pressure as you came up. Hurts like #$!@# and gives you a nice headache for a few hours after diving.

EDIT: No matter what happens diving your number 1 priority is always self safety. Before diving it's advised to decide with your buddy what will happen if you get separated. If you decide to use the PADI protocol of searching for 1 minute before surfacing, ensure both people agree that all safety stops will be obeyed during ascent. Even if you don't agree pre-dive ALWAYS ascend safely and do any safety stops if required (most computers trigger a safety stop once you go below 10M).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:19 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

hey nah my buddy is a good friend of mine nick but i have been going out with the island bay divers dive club on saturdays and yeah i figured it was something like that from what i had read online haha head aches have nearly gone now but dang its been a horrible afternoon hurt like a bitch i had 2 tramadols, 2 panadols and 2 nurophen and it was still painfull as s**t! haha was a awesome dive today but yes safety stops next time i did my open water with naui through island bay divers and my friend nick did his with ssi in thailand but we both agree to the 1 minute under water then surface i just wasnt thinking at the time and came up to quickly (im still relatively new to scuba been free diving for quite a while but this would be only my 7th or 8th scuba dive) ill tell you what lesson learnt thats for sure haha wont be doing that again in a hurry!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:25 pm 
Flagellate
Flagellate

That's usually why people say don't dive while congested.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

yeah haha but you know the story young dumb and "invincible" haha yeah wont be doing that again in a hurry headaches almost gone now thank god :thankyou: how often do you get out?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 pm 
Flagellate
Flagellate

Just got back from Tonga. We usually get out every week or 2. GF and I are both Master Scuba Divers under PADI.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

oh awesome that would of been nice! thats my plan for the future haha im planning to do my advanced in the next few weeks here and then me and my buddy are planning to go to thailand next year and do your dive masters are you part of any of the wellington dive clubs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:14 pm 
Copepod
Copepod

yeah going from free diving to scuba would make it seem like peanuts coming up from 9m. But the chemistry is all different I guess.

I drop up to 18m in a breath but don't have to worry about decompression... more about running out of breath or SWBO... I guess you were used to the with freediving so see how easy it would be to just head up without really thinking...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 pm 
Protozoa
Protozoa

ow sounds sore :P

im hoping to start learning to scuba this summer :D maybe try for my padi.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 pm 
Picoplankton
Picoplankton

raeh1 wrote:
yeah going from free diving to scuba would make it seem like peanuts coming up from 9m. But the chemistry is all different I guess.

I drop up to 18m in a breath but don't have to worry about decompression... more about running out of breath or SWBO... I guess you were used to the with freediving so see how easy it would be to just head up without really thinking...

thats exactly it haha i can free dive to 10 - 15 quite happily and never had a problem with decompression but i think it was a combo of surfacing too fast and being a bit blocked up b4 going out definately will not be doing it again :doh:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:03 pm 
Flagellate
Flagellate

Wellydave wrote:
oh awesome that would of been nice! thats my plan for the future haha im planning to do my advanced in the next few weeks here and then me and my buddy are planning to go to thailand next year and do your dive masters are you part of any of the wellington dive clubs?

We both belong to New Zealand Sea Adventures (www.scubadiving.co.nz). They are only technical training place in Wellington. We're both Nitrox qualified, I'm also solo qualified and Kiss Gem (Semi-closed rebreather) qualified. Neither of us will bother doing our dive masters as there is no need. No more PADI courses for us. Next is Advanced Nitrox and Decompression

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 am 
Flagellate
Flagellate

marinefish4life wrote:
ow sounds sore :P

im hoping to start learning to scuba this summer :D maybe try for my padi.

PADI is the most common one. It takes 2 weekends to get your open water cert.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]